Friday, November 15, 2013

Week 11 -Online Advertising

My business could use lots of online advertising.  The more the better as we have to reach so many different students in different countries who want to come to the U.S. to learn English.  Then we have to stand out from all the other thousands of colleges and universities.  I still feel Facebook is our best social media option currently for reaching international students.  I have learned from our current students that they are not as familiar with Twitter and Instagram until they come to the US.  I really would like to get on some international social media that is not used in the US.  For example China is not allowed to use You Tube or Face book so we miss a large part of our target market in this country.
The different kinds of Facebook advertising that is available are:
1. Facebook pages (fan pages, groups)
2. Facebook Ads (sponsored story, sponsored social story, video sponsored story, box ad unit, display ads)
3. Gift sponsorships

I would like to use the ads on Facebook everyday but our budget which is minimal could probably afford to do an ad once or twice a week.  Timing is difficult due to our target market being in so many different time zones. I also plan to develop a group page this week and have my current students start posting on it for their class assignment.

I chose these two pictures for my ads as they show many different students from different countries in a group having fun.  I would also create a few ads of students in a classroom learning and even a few pictures of our campus or the beach so they can see the community connection.  I think they are effective because the pictures are fun and exciting and hopefully students will want to click on them to learn more about our program.

2 comments:

  1. Those ads would definitely catch my eye and maybe give it a second look to see what it was about. I never knew that China wasn't allowed to use YouTube. It must be hard to remember what different countries find useful or important for their social media and what they cant/can use that might vary from the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be better to focus your ads locally? Unless you have a massive advertising budget or an extremely narrowly defined target market it's too costly to diversify to other states, let alone countries.

    ReplyDelete